Babushka

Monday, September 15, 2014

Life is like a box... without chocolate - because I gave it up!


So... i'm not eating chocolate and it's the HARDEST THING EVER because russian chocolate is outta this world delicious. More of that story later. 

Hayd's aunt Shauna passed away this week.  I really felt sad when I heard that she passed away. However: if there's one thing I learned from coping with Harry's passing and from recovering from going to a russian morgue it's this: GOD LIVES. He has a plan for EACH one of us, and this life is not the end. Like Harry, Shauna can now get the help that she needs to mend her broken spirit without having the distractions of addictions and the pain that come from living on earth. I know that she is in loving arms in the spirit world, and that she is getting retaught the gospel right now and that all will be well with her. I don't know if anyone knows this, but I really had a hard time with the plan of salvation before coming on my mission. I felt like it was such an abstract idea and I really didn't know if it was true. I believed that it was, and hoped that it was, but I really didn't know that it was. I know that Heavenly Father gives us trials to stregthen us, or in my case, specifically to strengthen my testimony. I now know, that the plan of salvation is REAL. It is TRUE. the Sprit confirmed the truth of it to me as I testified of it to our investigators whose friend died. I know that all is well with shauna and that she is now free from her sick frail body and can focus of all things spiritual. I love D&C 112:13 which just talks about after temptations and the trial of our faith, we can be healed through jesus christ. It's so true. I know we can overcome all things, but only when the savior is involved!

This week we met with the lady who thinks that her mom is a white cat. She owns a cafe and she insisted on us coming so that she could feed us for free. We went, and it was such a cute little dainty place... but the food was so bad. AHAHA  Russian food is so gross... like the food at restaurants. Russian cuisine really isn't special, but it's really good when you can prepare it yourself. She brought out this beet salad that was just straight up beets, SMOTHERED in sour cream. I ate all the sour cream because it's DELICIOUS here, but the rest was just too beety. Then, she brought out the unthinkable: A RAW FISH! hahaha I wanted to gag. It looked like it just got done swimming! The scales were on it and everything. It's a blessing that one of the rules in our mission is that we can't eat the fish in russia (because germs) so we just told her we are allergic. What a blessing!

The other day we were on a bus coming home, and this man just started arguing with us. He was like "YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ICONS, (they pray to icons and the icons deliver their prayers to Jesus who they also think is heavenly father aka one being.) and I said, you're right. We don't believe in icons because it's a commandment from God." and he was like "AND WHAT COMMANDMENT IS THAT?!" and we told him thou shalt have no other god's before me. We stumped him pretty good. I love those "gotcha" moments though, they really are the best. All the people on the bus were listening, so we got to give out some pamphlets which was pretty dang cool.

Our investigators "L" and "M" are doing SO well. It's CRAZY to see their progress. They stopped drinking about four weeks ago, and haven't drunk since. We committed them to stop smoking too. It's just crazy because the DAY that we met them the first time, is the day they bought electronic cigarettes to quit smoking. They already had the desire. Well, we committed them to stop smoking and sister Mckell and I wanted to do something to show the Lord that we want to help them quit.. so what did we decide to sacrifice? CHOCOLATE. haha it sounds ridiculous, but it's the best in russia! like I mentioned earlier. I swear. All the chocolate tastes just like it would in Willie Wonka. It's soooo delicious, Haha it was funny though. We said to "M" "we are going to give up chocolate while you give up smoking." and then he said "wait..... so chocolate is against the word of wisdom too?" hahaha no way. If it was, I'd be the biggest sinner in the world. It was way funny. We explained to him that no, it's not against the word of wisdom, it's just something that we are doing to help them quit too. It's been good so far, They went from one day, smoking 2 packs, to the next day, smoking half of 1 pack, and then they went to smoking 8, and then they're still at 8 so far. They went out of town though, so I hope that they didn't fall back into old habits. They get baptized on the 27th so I hope that they can be ready by that point. 

Yesterday I woke up with 100 degree fever.. but all was well because sissy Mckell took good care of me! (love that lady.)  But I am feeling better now. I didn't get to go to church or anything which really was a  bummer. We just watched all the church movies in our apartment and then I slept and then read my scriptures. Good time I tell you what. It's the worst being sick on the mission, butt it's also the best because I caught up on sleep that I will be losing when we take another train to Samara tomorrow night. We have another zone conference there... which I'm so stoked because I LOVE my mission president and we get interviews with him! I can't wait for you to meet him someday. We will most definitely take them out to dinner when they get home! 

Well i gotta jet but I love you all the most and I am so blessed to have you all in my life. I miss you all more than I can explain but I know that the Lord is looking after you all. PLEASE don't forget him, he never forgets you. He loves you, and you can always rely on him for help. I know this is true. I love you all! bye!

love sissy T





the nasty beet salad

love sissy mckell







No comments:

Post a Comment