Babushka

Monday, June 30, 2014

Conquer your mountains


I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am for your emails  to me.Thank you! love yall!!!
i love russia it's so great. So stormy and divine. Seriously the loudest thunder you will EVER hear is heard here. Russia is also home to some of the strangest FUNNIEST, annnndddd creepiest men on the earth.

Example number one- We went to visit a baba (babushka) from our branch. She is the sassiest funniest lady. Anway, we bring her treats when we visit and we were buying ice cream. This man standing in line next to us was like "I CAN SPEAK ENGLISH" so we asked how he knew english and he said he studied. He is about 37 years old. SUPER nice right? Didn't think anything of it. We gave him our info and told him about our english club we have and he said he would come. The next morning we get a text: "hello not to sister coleman but to sister twede. How are you doing?" we didn't text back until the next day because we were so busy. We responded oh, we're good thanks." and then he texted... "I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH SISTER TWEDE." uUHUHUHUHHHH so uncomfortable. We didn't even text him back. I hope he doesn't come to english club. 

WHILE at english club, this man that is obsessed with sister coleman brought her a flower. HAHA hilarious she was like.. uhhhhhh thanks. And then we gave it to elder graf because he wanted it. Super hilarious

This week has been one for the books. My emotions about being here have been all over the place. I literally feel like a rag doll it's so insane and so awesome! We have seen so many tremendous blessings here and I'm sooooo grateful that I get to witness miracles every day. Both sister Coleman and I have had this feeling and this idea to just sing hymns to people. It's hard because in russia if we just sing on the street it is reaaallllllly offensive to russians because they are having to listen to it even if they don't want to. Anyway, so we went to these domes. They are little houses with dirt roads. Some are really scary and old and others are just precious and have lovely dainty gardens. anyway, we walked past this family that was gardening. We stopped and asked "Hey can we sing to you.?" they were like no.... that's so weird." and we said "no! it's not weird! we promise it'll be good." and the man was like "K! Go ahead!" and we sang. Right when we ended the song "nearer my god to three" it was literally like their hearts melted. They instantly said, "Come in! look at our garden!" So we did. The little daughter was so cute and gave us all of these berries. They have yellow raspberries here and they are literally the most tastiest little nuggest I ever had. We both felt prompted to leave them the book of mormon so we did. We also talked to them about our beliefs too and the mom was so engaged. We stayed for about an hour and had to go so we could knock more and the mom and dad AND daughter were like "COme back next week!" SUCH A MIRACLE! People aren't like that here! So we KNOW that they felt the spirit. We are so stoked to go back this week.

The next house we went to looked like a house you would see in france. It was SO nice. The woman who lived there was picking berries from the tree in the yard and we yelled over her barking beast dog, "WE WANT TO SING YOU A SONG." She didn't even hesitate and came right out of her gate to listen. We sang nearer my god to thee again and she was ALSO melted and invited us in from the cold. (it's been so rainy and cold here.) anyway she let us in, fed us soup, gave us chai, and we talked about the gospel to her and her drunk daughter. We left them the book of mormon and they gave us their numbers and told us to PELASE come back this week so.. we will! Seriously it has been so cool to see how music and sharing our talents helps people to feel the spirit. SO ALWAYS SHARE YOUR TALENTS MY PEOPLE. Seriously. Heavenly Father has given us all individual talents not only to bring ourselves joy, but he has given us gifts to uplift and enlighten others. So don't EVER be embarrassed to hide your talents. Share them. Let em' shiiiiiine.


We had an experience where we were going to teach a lesson to a man named "D". As we were walking to our meeting with him, I felt this feeling that was really unnerving. I felt really cautious about meeting with Him that night and I didn't know why. I wanted to doubt that the feeling I was having was something other than a feeling of having our lesson with "D" because I want everyone to hear this message! However, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had. Sister Coleman and I pulled over, and prayed. We prayed for guidance because we were running short on time and had to cancel the lesson in time if that was what the Lord wanted us to do. We didn't receive any feelings on the matter, so we called  President Schwab.  He told us to go kneel in prayer and ask the Lord what we should do. I offered the prayer and asked Heavenly Father "If this is right to teach "D" tonight, then please cause our bosoms to burn." and we felt no feeling. I proceeded my prayer and asked, "If we shouldn't go teach tonight please help us to know clearly." we closed our prayer. Sister Coleman told me that she received the distinct answer, "no. Don't go." I likewise felt peace in our decision to not go when I asked Heavenly Father if it was wrong. We quickly texted him to let him know that we couldn't meet tonight due to our power being out. (it was true! our power went out!) We didn't hear a response from him, but both sister Coleman and I felt at peace with our decision. 

We ended up knocking domes that night. We didn't know why we had the prompting to not meet with "D", but we trusted in his word. there are two choices that any decisions come down to in life. That is to 1)trust God and follow his word or 2) to not. This principle has never been more real to me than it has been on my mission. "D" ended up coming to church on sunday and stayed for the three meetings. He seems more interested in getting to know the both of us rather than our message. He did however, tell us that he felt warm during church. This week we are going to meet with him and have the Elders come with us to teach him more about what we know and believe. Hopefully we will be able to help him know that warmth he felt was the Holy Ghost.

We pray for miracles every day and we see them! We prayed one day to specifically meet two young girls who have questions about where we came from, and who are ready to hear the gospel. We met the two girls and the spirit testified to us both times that these were the girls that we were supposed to meet. Funny because they were both named O! It was such a miracle. I know that Heavenly Father is just waiting to pour out his blessings upon this mission. I am so honored to be a part of the work here. I know that as long as we do our part to strive to be exactly obedient, we see the Lord's hand in this work and see miracles.


Yesterday I had a rough day. I realized at church that I do not understand this language. I realized how far from home I am and how foreign this all is. I just so happened to get a letter from my old young womens president SHOUT OUT TO LANA JONES!. In the letter, she told me the story about Joshua and Caleb when they went into "the land flowing with milk and honey." Numbers chapter 13 and 14. GO READ IT! super good.

 She testified to me that just as the 12 men Moses sent out to scout out the land went out with "being of faith/strength and courage" that I should too. The 10 men became scared when they realized that they needed to go and take possession of the land there because the people there were giant and of greater strength than they. I don't remember who said this, Joshua or Caleb, but they said, "Lord give me this mountain." I know this is a very abridged terrible translation of the story but it really comforted me. I said a prayer and asked the Lord to give me this mountain.  I felt so much peace and comfort. I then went and read the story for myself. I know that with the Lord we CAN do ALL things! HEAVENLY FATHER IS THERE PEOPLE. He hears YOUR prayers. He WILL help you in your challenges.

 I know that I have no need to fear these "giants" in russia because The Lord will help me. The Lord is waiting to give us His blessings, just as he did Caleb, Joshua, Moses, and all those who came to the land of milk and honey. The church is true, and I know that the Lord has given me this mountain to climb. The times I feel down here, I will think of this story along with thinking of my savior to help pull me through the rough patches.

Hevaenly Father has invested SO much in each of us. Never forget that truth. Share your talents, conquer your mountains, and become the people he has designed you to become. I know we can do it with his help! 

Love you all. XO hayster sister twede

prettiest vines
eating sharma the TASTIEST armenian russian wrap things. Seriously the best!
Spooky ville! nah its so pretty and rad though huh?
eating sharma.. again. seriously you guys its the best thing ever.
 love my comp!
 nights in penza




No comments:

Post a Comment